Saturday, November 1, 2008

The real trick of Halloween is actually on November 1

There are a lot of chapters missing in parenting books, most notably “Daylight Savings Time: Your new arch nemesis.”

Until Junior, I had no idea I could be so passionately opposed to something as seemingly innocuous as changing the clock. Now I know: It’s the manmade evil that guarantees your child will wake an hour earlier.

I know everyone says your child will readjust to the time change and eventually get back on his or her previous schedule. But I’m not a gullible newbie anymore. I’ve got a year of practical experience under my belt. Junior didn’t readjust last year. I distinctly remember not only catching Krista Tippet’s broadcast every Sunday morning at 7 a.m., but having time to tailgate beforehand with coffee and Eggos (NPR, I swear our donation is coming).

Of course back then, I was happy with six thirty. I was so sleep deprived I was appeased by the promise of consecutive sleep, never mind reaching for the heights of a late morning.

But now? Now I am greedy for sleep. And this morning, in what can only be described as a major big bitch slap from the Universe, Junior slept until eight. Glorious eight! He’s been sleeping later and later and I know—I know!—that that was just a taste of what’s to come.

If only...

What I wouldn’t give for a one-way trip to the Grand Canyon right now. The clocks there aren't fickle.

7 comments:

Mary Anna said...

I commented to Paul that "fall back" only means the boys will wake up an hour earlier. God help us all!

Mary Anna said...

Oh, if you want to "visit" the Grand Canyon a la "Thelma and Louise," just give me a buzz.

Unknown said...

I think it gets worse as they get older. I just had this conversation with my hubby. I hate daylight savings time. It is a Mom's arch enemy.

Keely said...

Ha! I knew living on the prairies with a bunch of stuck-in-a-rut farmers was a good thing. None of that new-fangled daylight savings HERE, thankyouverymuch.

Frogs in my formula said...

I love it--Frogmama and Random ARE Thelma and Louise II.

thedavies99 said...

Give him a month--maybe he'll get back on track!

Marinka said...

Another thing that they don't teach you is not to invite your son's friends over for a sleepover on the morning when they change the time back. Because it will make you cranky for the rest of the year.

How to tell your third kid from your first

  Note the appropriate response here is: "When did THAT happen?" because let's be honest, life is moving so fast, there's ...