Tuesday, September 9, 2008

If your cat's the same weight as your child then yes, he's a suitable sitter

At first I thought it was a prank caller. But my life isn't that exciting. It was our new nanny, calling in sick. On her first day. She has strep. So I did what any enterprising, working mother would do...


I left my child in the care of my pets.

Yes, fine, I'm kidding. My sex obsessed mother was gracious enough to come to our house again. And when she saw how frazzled and crumpled I was, she begged me to take a long shower after I got home from work (I guess the shellacked helmet from the Bumble and Bumble hair powder was a dead giveaway that I was heading off to work...you know, extra stinky).

While I was at work my mother vacuumed, made beef stew, and put dryer sheets in Chuck's shoes (why didn't I think of that?). Thankfully, she refrained from asking if Chuck and I incorporate the vacuum, beef stew, and dryer sheets into our bedroom repertoire.

When I got home and she saw the brown streaks streaming down the sides of my face—it rained and the hair powder ran, go figure—she handed me the Scotch she'd been drinking (hey, no one said she was perfect) and told me I was starting to look at right at home on my street.

Which actually made me laugh so hard I snarfed Scotch. Which then made my eyes water, which started the tears rolling. I don't know if you've ever seen a tired, wrinkled woman with greasy hair, running nostrils, and brown facial streaks before but yah, I was smokin.

Ooooh, baby.

But you know what? She and Junior wanted a big hug from me anyway.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

That picture is awesome! :)

And your mommy must really love you if she'll give you her scotch. Be extra nice to her on Mother's Day.

Dto3 said...

My mother-in-law irons my underwear, but never, never has she put dryer sheets in my shoes. The NERVE!

Practically Joe said...

How can we not love a mom like you?
How can we not love a daughter like you. Let everyone who comments on this post join in to give you a big group hug. My arms are open ...

Mary Anna said...

What makes us think that more product will really make it better?!

Unknown said...

Oh I am sure the hug helped. And the photo with the cat is priceless!

The Browns said...

have you posted about the hair powder before? I've been searching for a dry-shampoo...which seems gross to say out loud. Yes..b/c with each baby my grooming routine become less and less routine.

EtsyBABY Team Captain said...

You are my hero!

ROTFL!


Jen

Frogs in my formula said...

Bumble and Bumble's hair powder is about $35--I've heard you can get the same results with your kid's talcum powder!

Kris said...

Great picture!

How to tell your third kid from your first

  Note the appropriate response here is: "When did THAT happen?" because let's be honest, life is moving so fast, there's ...