Thursday, January 10, 2013

Getting all the shit out of the way early

So here we are. It's been about three weeks since I last logged into this blog. I've been thinking about it and how I want to write something (and respond to the thoughtful comments about Sandy Hook), but life has been a bit of a roller coaster—and not the good kind that tickles your stomach, but the kind where you cover your eyes, scream the entire time and then hurl as soon as you get off.

(I never did like roller coasters. I get nauseous driving down steep hills in the car.)

Since December 16, we've had two deaths in the family, Christmas and its accompanying windfall of wrapping paper and house guests, an open heart surgery, New Years, a friend with an illness, a cat with a tumor, a birthday for Everett (#2!), a birthday for me (closer to 40) and a radio that's been playing itself at night (more about that in the next post, I promise). 

And now we have the stomach bug.

But listen, I didn't sign onto this blog to share all my Debbie Downer moments of late. In fact, one of the reasons I miss blogging so much is that it gives me the chance to remember the funny moments interspersed in all of life's muck.

Like this morning when, after puking, Junior wobbled down the stairs and said, "I'm kind of shaky, Mom. I think I should lie on the couch and get my strength back." His voice cracked with concern. All I could picture was him at 50 in his flannel bathrobe and slippers, puttering down the stairs after having the flu or whatever and telling his wife the very same thing. There's an old soul in there—the most cautious, worried, tentative of souls.

It makes me smile, that I get to tend to this gentle man-boy.

Then there's Everett, who had puked just days earlier. The kid literally opened his mouth, vomited, and went back to playing. I can hear him calling Junior on the phone when they're adults (my God, by then they might be able to teleport to each other's homes) and telling him to suck it up; stop being such a grandpa. He's a little shithead, but Junior's going to need someone like that in his life.

I love watching these two grow. I love every day of learning more about who they are. I love this gift.

And now if you'll pray for me: I really, really, really don't want to get the puke bug.

6 comments:

VandyJ said...

I've got my fingers crossed that your boys aren't generous with this germ. This is one thing they don't need to share.

brokenteepee said...

I too hope you do not get it. Throwing up is no fun at all. I'm sorry for all of the loss in your life lately. Goat hugs from here.

Nicole said...

ah I'm hoping for no puking for you. My daughter is so frightened of puking she can't even stand to hear someone puke. When her brother recently had the flu she would cover her ears and hum REALLY loud when he would run to the bathroom just in case she could hear him. Watching Biggest Loser this week she went running from the room crying when they started the first work out puking. God I hope she doesn't get it. Can't wait to read about the radio!!

Leanne said...

Yep, I'll pray for the no puke thing, and I'm sorry for all the rough stuff you've been going through too.

I'm always amazed that kids with all the same DNA can be so different...

Mandy said...

Wow, when it rains, it pours, huh? I'm so sorry about all of the unpleasant things that have been going on. Life can really throw it all at you sometimes. I'm praying things get easier for you and your family. Go away sick bugs!!

Sunshine and Shadows said...

Prayers sent. I'm sorry for your losses.

How to tell your third kid from your first

  Note the appropriate response here is: "When did THAT happen?" because let's be honest, life is moving so fast, there's ...