Saturday, August 2, 2008

Remember when you were the one puking?

Dear New Life,

Why hello. It's 9:30 p.m. on Saturday night. My husband just called to tell me that everyone in his encampment loved the Viking banner I made. He's been drinking since 8 a.m. and told me seven times that he ate venison (deer) stew and that it'd be great if I learned how to make it. (Hello, you can't serve venison stew in a household that will soon experience Bambi: "Hey Junior, see that starry eyed doe? You've eaten her!")

My friends are on their way to the bar my brother bartends at, which means they'll drink for free all night. Which is why I drove down to my mother's house this morning: So I could go out with my friends and Linda could babysit Junior and I could feel like the old me again. The one who actually used to go out past 7:30 p.m.

Instead I'm sitting here like some Lifetime movie teenager who doesn't realize the full extent of her newfound mommyhood until all her pimply friends go to the prom but her.

But you already knew all this didn't you?

You knew that Junior would projectile vomit the dinner Linda so grossly overfed him (watermelon, chicken curry, Spaghettios, Cheerios, and a fruit bar), didn't you? You knew he would hurl with reckless abandon and that the entire contents of his stomach would spray my clothes and bare feet and get stuck in between my toes.

Oh, how you tickle me with your roadblocks.

I guess you also know that Linda has apologized for overfeeding Junior more times than Jodi Picoult has written a predictable, metaphor-blighted best seller (I bet she's having a great night) and that Charles has called ten times in the last hour to check on Junior (which is sweet but come on, he's an intoxicated Viking for fuck's sake).

You. You are an insidious girls-night-out-wrecker.

Thanks for the awesome Saturday night,
Me

P.S. Why couldn't Junior have ralphed on Linda?

3 comments:

Practically Joe said...

everyone in his encampment loved the Viking banner I made
You're a fine Viking wife! Viking husbands trusted their wives and allowed them to be responsible for many important things. The woman of the house wore the keys to all the buildings tied around her waist as a sign of her authority and responsibility.
Read more at http://www.essortment.com/all/vikingwoman_rbsn.htm
Just thought you should know.

Frogs in my formula said...

Thanks, Joe. I must say, after Junior's puke session, Charles is lucky he has his OWN keys.

Ann Harrison said...

Ah yes... the puke on clothes and bare feet.
A mother's rite of passage.
(It's nothing we invision while looking at parenting magazine's, is it? )

How to tell your third kid from your first

  Note the appropriate response here is: "When did THAT happen?" because let's be honest, life is moving so fast, there's ...