Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Random Tuesday thoughts: My husband left me

I’m not sure how random this is, but I desperately want to belong, so here’s my widget.

randomtuesday

I’ve been keeping a secret. I made mention of it once on this blog, and only one person made reference to the reference, so I never brought it up again (sensitive? Who me?). But here it is: Chuck is a ghostbuster. And right now he’s in California shooting a pilot for a historical ghostbusting show that’s going to air on a major network in the fall.

After years of mocking Chuck for his ghostbusting, I’m now choking on my words. It’s worse than the chicken finger and bobby pins—300 times worse.

I have no interest in the paranormal, and over the years I’ve made that very clear to Chuck. I don’t want to commune with spirits and I sure as hell don’t want to walk around a cemetery in the middle of the night. At times I may have teased and taunted my husband for his strange hobby, but it was only out of love.

Besides, it’s not easy being with a ghostbuster. You have questions, like will our children have to be ghosts every year for Halloween? And if I die before Chuck, will he roam the earth in search of my flying orb?

My mother’s been coming over to watch Junior while I work. It’s nice of her to help, but I wish I could break up with her for awhile. Today she called me in a panic because she heard a loud thumping coming from upstairs. She begged me to come home and check it out.

Thankfully my boss is understanding—though I did not tell her I needed to run home because my mother believed there was an angry ghost in Chuck's manroom because she has been listening to too many of Chuck's ghost stories. I told my boss I had a leaky pipe.

When I pulled in the driveway, my mother and Junior were standing on the front lawn. In the rain.

“Something’s up there,” she cried.

Turns out the cat was stuck in the closet (yes, this monster) and was pounding on the door.

Is it any wonder I haven't taken her up on her offer to spend the night? Mother with overactive imagination + Chuck’s ghostbusting stories = misery for Mrs. Mullet.

So there you have it. I’ve aired my sheet with the holes for the eyes cut out. Random or not, life feels like the weirdest sitcom ever.

Keely, is your zombie free to do a playdate with my ectoplasm next week?

19 comments:

Crazy K said...

At least your husband has a talent, lol. Mine is conveniently ghost-like (at a baseball game) while my 4 year old is puking. Not so special.

Congrats on the TV show though, that's cool!

Joanie said...

I get myself all spooked because I tend to watch those ghost busting shows in the middle of the night.
(I sleep with the TV since my ex left 4+years ago. helped me when I wasn't sleeping at all)
So now I watch Paranormal State and other ghostly shows.

You must tell us when Chuck's show airs and what channel!

Suzi said...

Where in California is old Chuckie? What show is this for? Or is that TMI? Wish I could say I lived with a real live ghostbuster.

feefifoto said...

I had a roommate who once came home to kill a bug for me. In my defense, it was a New Orleans cockroach the size of an aircraft carrier and, while I knew where it was generally, I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see it clearly and I was afraid if I went to get my glasses it would disappear and I'd have to find a new place to live, so I called her and she came home and slew it. My hero!

Mrsbear said...

Uh, congrats on Chuck's ghostbusting abilities? I certainly wouldn't want to hear any of his work related anecdotes though. Ghosts scare the crap out of me, zombies I can handle but keep the poltergeists inside your Ouija board.

Although I'm pretty sure your fat cat is scarier than any disembodied entity. Love your mom standing in the rain with Junior. Although I'm sure you probably didn't.

Keely said...

Oh. Em. Gee.

I know YOU have no interest in the paranormal, but you realize that Chuck just shot up about 37-1/2 points in MY estimation, right?

I'd probably crap my pants if I ran into a real ghost (if there even are such things), but that is a freaking cool hobby. Also, the tech involved makes me geekgasm.

You're right, that's not random, but you're allowed. I hope Chuck doesn't come back slimed.

mo.stoneskin said...

Cats, ghosts, they're all the same to me. Good thing about ghosts is that they don't scratch the furniture.

A ghost-buster? Seriously? Maybe you should let him guest-post to tell the scariest thing that has ever happened to him.

ModernMommy said...

Seriously your husband is a ghost buster? How cool is that? and random.

Kate said...

Interesting, very interesting.

He needs to visit the University of Montevallo in Alabama. It is a very small public liberal arts college, it is straight up haunted yo! It's always about 10 degrees cooler than all of the areas surrounding it. I am not really in touch with the paranormal side of life, but I had 2 experiences that no one can convince me weren't other worldly.

I hate cats. I think they should all become ghosts.

Brandy@YDK said...

you just can't make this stuff up. hilarious.

Sabrina said...

I think you are hilarious. :)

Anonymous said...

Dude. I think that stuff is SO COOL. I'm with Keely on this one. Chuck rules!

kyooty said...

WOHOOOOOOO! work! :)

rachel... said...

OMG, Chuck is a ghostbuster!? Let the mockery fly!!! How does one BECOME a ghostbuster? Does he wear a jumpsuit?

brokenteepee said...

Hmmm, can he do side work as a goatbuster? I really need help with getting rid of Abby.....

The Mother said...

You have my undying sympathy.

But I may have you beat.

My husband is a Republican.

Lindy said...

Does he have the beeping tools and everything?Oh...and the green light?

Roshni said...

wow! No kidding!?
Let us know when it airs and we'll watch!

Wendy said...

Wooowwww. All this amazing bloggy potential, just lying there fallow.

Blog about this, woman! Blog it I say!

I had an idea for a book once that involved a ghost hunter. Maybe (yawn) I'll write it. I need some research material, though, so tell us more!

How to tell your third kid from your first

  Note the appropriate response here is: "When did THAT happen?" because let's be honest, life is moving so fast, there's ...